GIS Application In Disaster Risk Reduction
9th -13th Jan 2023
6th-10th Feb 2023
3rd-7th Apr 2023
5th -9th June2023
10th-14th July 2023
7th-11th Aug 2023
4th-8th Sept 2023
2nd-6th Oct 2023
11th-15th Dec 2023
There have an improvement in the use of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) solving technical issues using Geographical Information Systems (GIS) for hazard mapping & modeling, application of web-based data sources to aid in research on disaster management & the utilization of searchable databases to get hazard information.
The purpose of this course is to impart practical skills and knowledge on the use of GIS, to solve the major hurdles in disaster management.
Who Can Attend
The training isideal for professionals working in development areas especially in DRM related fields.
Duration: 5 Days
The participants will have the ability to describe and use spatial data by manipulating it during pre disaster, during disaster and after or post disaster.
Disaster Management Concepts and Institutional Framework
- Basic GIS concepts and terminologies in the context of disaster management.
- International and Regional Protocols and action plans relating to disaster risk management.
- Introduction to spatial information
Introduction to Geoinformatics, GIS data sources, and data collection
- Geographic Information System
- Data sources for DRM
- Data collection using Global Positioning Systems
- Data collection using Mobile Data Collection (ODK)
- Introducing GIS functions using QGIS
- Preparation of Earthquake Hazard Map
Hazard, Vulnerability and Risk assessment with QGIS
- Types and methods of risk assessment, risk evaluation, vulnerability analysis.
- Spatial data preparation and GIS integration techniques in Microsoft Excel
- Use of GIS in disaster preparedness planning.
- Elements at risk, hazard and vulnerability assessment using GIS.
- GIS Multi criteria analysis in vulnerability assessment.
- Group discussion: How can GIS and RS be used to map existing buildings, infrastructure, land use and critical facilities located in potential hazard areas.
Application of Risk Information for Risk Reduction Planning
- Visualization of risk information Using QGIS
- Risk mapping and database generation using QGIS
- Exercise: Creating a risk map
- Discussion: Use of GIS in the identification of the extent and magnitude of each hazard.
Applications of Geoinformation
- Disaster Scope, Examples & Advancements
- Introduction to Quantum GIS (open source)
Global and National Initiatives
- Overview of The Disaster Management Support Programme
- Key International and Regional Initiatives
- Disaster Management Planning and Emergency Response Case Studies
Public Participatory GIS and Disaster Risk Management
- Participatory GIS as a tool for DRM mapping.
- Use of Google Maps and Google Earth in DRM.
- Community crisis mapping Using Ushahidi.
GIS for Post Disaster Damage Assessment
- Flood inundation Mapping
- Preliminary Flood Damage Assessment
- All the participants should be conversant with the English language.
- All our courses involve a mix of one on one presentations, web based tutorials, group discussions, and practical exercises.
- All courses can be tailor made and adjusted to meet the client’s needs.
- We have a team of professional experts who work as professionals and trainers in their respective fields.
- Each participant will get an Uphilos Consultancy certificate, upon completion of each course.
- All our training sessions are held at Uphilos Center. For groups above five people we can train at any location in Kenya, above ten people any location within East Africa, and above twenty people at any location as per the client’s specifications.
- Participants will be responsible for their travel, dinner, airport transfers, and other personal expenses.
- Accommodation will be arranged upon request at a discounted price.
- All payments should be made two weeks prior to the training for better logistics. Proof of payment should be sent to [email protected]