Training on Fraud Investigation
16th- 27tht Jan 2023
13th- 24th Feb 2023
13th-24th Mar 2023
1st- 12th May 2023
3rd-14th July 2023
18th-29th Sept 2023
16th-27th Oct 2023
6th-17th Nov 2023
4th-15th Dec 2023
This training teaches the key components of investigative practice, from the elementary to the complex. From understanding key legislation and gathering intelligence, to interviewing witnesses and closing a case, it is essential learning for those working in, or aspiring to work in, fraud investigations. Relevant to public, private and third sector professionals.
You’ll gain a thorough understanding of the role and responsibilities of being a fraud investigator including conducting ethical, proportionate and fair investigations. You’ll explore the fraud types and theories that help you understand why people are motivated to commit fraud, and review the key legislation that underpins fraud investigations. You’ll understand how to identify and use intelligence, work with partner agencies, and plan a corporate fraud investigation. Finally, you’ll learn how to report on an investigation’s findings to support disciplinary or judicial proceedings.
Duration: 2 Weeks
Course Module Details
The qualification covers the key components of investigative practice, and the role and responsibilities of being a fraud investigator including conducting ethical, proportionate and fair investigations. Learners will explore the fraud types and theories that help identify why people are motivated to commit fraud, and review the legislation that underpins fraud investigations. Learners will also gain an understanding of how to identify and use intelligence and work with partner agencies. They will learn how to report on an investigation’s findings to support disciplinary or judicial proceedings. Learners will also develop their skills in conducting investigative interviews and planning a corporate fraud investigation.
Module1. Understanding Fraud and Fraudsters
Gain a thorough understanding of fraud, including the types of fraud and the motivations to commit it, and how corporate structures such as shell companies can be used to facilitate fraud. The Module also covers the range of fraud indicators and how they might be identified.
Module1 learning outcomes:
- Understand fraud
- Understand how corporate structures are used in fraud
- Understand why people commit fraud
- Understand fraud and financial crime typologies and key enablers
- Be able to identify fraud indicators
Module2. The role of the Fraud Investigator
Understand the role and responsibilities of the fraud investigator and the importance of ethical, proportionate and fair investigations, as well as the requirement to maintain your own professional knowledge.
Module2 learning outcomes:
- Understand the fraud investigator role
- Understand the professional requirements of the fraud investigator role
- Understand fair and ethical investigations
Module3. Understanding legislation and regulations relating to fraud investigation
Gain knowledge of the legislation and regulatory framework relevant to the investigation of fraud, and an understanding of the criminal legislation used to prosecute fraud offenders.
Module3 learning outcomes:
- Understand the legislative and procedural frameworks that relate to corporate fraud investigations
- Understand fraud and related financial crime legislation
- Understand civil legislation and procedures relevant to corporate fraud investigations
- Understand the regulatory framework and bodies for financial services
Module4. Understanding intelligence gathering
Understand the intelligence cycle and how to identify and handle intelligence in accordance with recognized protocols.
Module4 learning outcomes
- Understand the intelligence cycle
- Understand the National Intelligence Model
- Understand how to use and analyze intelligence in fraud investigations
- Understand the sources of intelligence
- Understand intelligence handling in fraud prevention and detection
Module5. Principles of Fraud Investigation
Gain the core knowledge of the different aspects of a corporate fraud investigation and how to carry one out.
Module5 learning outcomes
- Understand the investigation models for fraud enquiries
- Understand an investigative mind-set
- Understand the decision-making process
- Understand supporting victims of fraud
- Understand the principles of evidence
- Understand the management of materials during an investigation
- Understand the differences of approach in civil, criminal and regulatory investigations
- Understand the management of parallel investigations
- Understand record keeping during an investigation
Module6. Working with partner organizations in fraud investigations
Gain the knowledge required when working with partner organizations on fraud investigations, including the role of communication and their own responsibilities.
Module6 learning outcomes:
- Understand working with partner organizations in fraud investigations
- Understand communication in partnership working in fraud investigations
- Understand working with law enforcement agencies in fraud investigations
- Understand own role and responsibilities in partnership working
Module7. Undertaking Interviews in Fraud Investigations
Acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to undertake an investigative interview. This Module covers how the memory works, effective question types to aid memory recall, written statements and the use of cautions.
Module7 learning outcomes:
- Understand principles of investigative interviews of witnesses, victims and suspects
- Understand how to conduct a fraud interview
- Understand the use of cautions in the interview process
- Understand how to take written statements
- Be able to conduct investigative interviews
Module8. Fraud Investigation planning and process
Learn how to undertake a corporate fraud investigation and use this knowledge to plan one.
Module8 Learning outcomes
- Understand how to develop a case theory
- Understand how to resource an investigation
- Understand how to build a case
- Understand the briefing models used in fraud investigations
- Be able to plan a fraud investigation
Module9 Fraud Investigation reporting and closure
Equip yourself with knowledge of reporting requirements in fraud investigations and the process for closing fraud cases, including the judicial process and the use of debriefs and sanctions.
Module9 learning outcomes:
- Understand report writing in fraud investigations
- Understand disclosure requirements
- Understand the judicial process relating to fraud investigations
- Understand structured debriefs in fraud investigations
Understand the use of sanctions in fraud cases